Jacques Cartier State Park is southwest of the village.
The first settlers of the town began the community around 1804, but the village was not permanently settled until 1808.
During the opening days of the War of 1812, a naval battle took place between two warships in the river opposite the village.
Due to the lack of water power, early milling was accomplished by a windmill (1825) and later by a steam powered mill.
The Land Office, Jacob Ford House, McConnell's Windmill, Samuel Stocking House, Paschal Miller House, Morristown Schoolhouse, United Methodist Church, and Wright's Stone Store are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Morristown is named after Gouverneur Morris a signer of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence. He was a land baron and owned a tract of land from Gouvernuer, NY to the St. Lawrence River, including the village of Morristown.