Place:Morley St. Peter, Norfolk, England

NameMorley St. Peter
Alt namesMorley-St. Peter
Morley Saint Peter
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.5315°N 1.0504°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoForehoe Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Morley, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Morley St. Peter from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MORLEY-ST.PETER, a parish in Forehoe [registration] district, Norfolk; 3 miles NNE of Attleborough [railway] station, and 3½ SW of Wymondham. Post town: Wymondham. Acres: 1,015. Real property: £1,956. Population: 147. Houses: 34. The property is divided among a few. Morley House and much of the land belong to J. B. G. Browne, Esq. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the rectory of Morley-St. Botolph, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is good; and consists of nave and chancel, with a low tower."

Morley St. Peter was an ancient parish, then an civil parish in Norfolk until 1935 when it was abolished and absorbed into a new civil parish of Morley which also included its sister parish of Morley St. Botolph.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Morley St. Peter. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: