- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Moreton-in-Marsh is a town and civil parish in northeastern Gloucestershire, England. The town is at the crossroads of the Fosse Way Roman road (now the A429) and the A44. The parish and environs are relatively flat and low-lying compared with the surrounding Cotswold Hills. The River Evenlode rises near Batsford, runs around the edge of Moreton and meanders towards Oxford, where it flows into the Thames just east of Eynsham. Just over east of Moreton, the Four Shire Stone marked the boundary of the historic counties of Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Oxfordshire, until the re-organisation of the county boundaries in 1931. Since then it marks the meeting place of Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Oxfordshire.
Moreton-in-Marsh was in Campden Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was broken up and the majority of it (including Moreton-in-Marsh) was transferred to the newly-formed and larger North Cotswold Rural District. The North Cotswold Rural District was replaced by the larger district municipality of Cotswold District in 1974.
Shipston-on-Stour (1837 - 1932)
Stow-on-the-Wold (1932 - 1937)
North Cotswold (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Moreton-in-Marsh from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Westminster hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire, England | Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Shipston-on-Stour Registration District, Warwickshire, England | Stow-on-the-Wold Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England