Place:Moor Monkton, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameMoor Monkton
Alt namesMonechtonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 318
Monechtunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 318
Monkton-Moorsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates54.0055°N 1.2266°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoGreat Ouseburn, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1894-1938
Nidderdale Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1938-1974
Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, Englandadministrative district in which it is now located
Ainsty Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Moor Monkton is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated on the Ouse and north-west of York.

Moor Monkton is a peaceful village with around 110 houses and a handful of unique businesses.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Moor Monkton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MONKTON-MOOR, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Ouseburn district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Nidd, near Marston-Moor, 1½ mile N by W of Marston [railway] station, and 6 N W by W of York. The township comprises 3,110 acres. Real property: £4,412. Population: 254. Houses: 51. The parish contains also the township of Hessay; and its Post town is Marston, under York. Acres [in the parish]: 4,230. Real property: £6,038. Population: 381. Houses: 79.
"The manor, with Red House, belongs to Sir Charles Slingsby, Bart. Red House was built in the time of Charles I, by Sir Henry Slingsby; and commands an extensive view, including York city and minster."

Historically, Moor Monkton was an ecclesiastical parish in Ainsty Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Aldfield was located in Great Ouseburn Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.

The page, Great Ouseburn Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI on Moor Monkton.
  • The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Moor Monkton provides a list of useful resources for the local area.:*A Vision of Britain through Time on Moor Monkton.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
  • Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
  • Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
  • Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Moor Monkton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.