Taken from Carroll County township histories by John C. Odell in 1916
Monroe township: Monroe township was organized in March 1840 and Isaac Price was appointed inspector of elections. The first election was held on the last Saturday in June 840 and James C. Toddwas elected justice of the peace. The first log school house was built on the farm of Amos Ball, in 1833. The Dunkard church was established in 1831. Other church denominations followed as the population increased.