The Town of Mono is situated in south-central Ontario, Canada, at the south-east corner of County of Dufferin, just north of Caledon and northeast of Orangeville. It stretches from Highway 9 along its southern border to Highway 89 along its northern border. Its border to the west is with the Township of Amaranth and in the east it is bordered by the Township of Adjala-Tosorontio. It was previously known as the Township of Mono.
Mono is a rural community in both geography and character. It has a great deal of change in the topography, being composed of mostly rolling, tree-covered hills. It holds many streams and creeks which form the headwaters of three rivers - the Humber River, Nottawasaga River and Credit River and most of the town is located on high land relative to the rest of Southern Ontario. This leads to its current slogan of 'the heart of the headwaters'.
Mono's residents live on farms, rural estates and in small settlements. Mono Centre, Hockley Village and Camilla are just some of the small communities which exist within the Town of Mono.
Mono's population represents many different backgrounds, including the farming community, local businesses, numerous artists and artisans, commuters to neighbouring towns and cities, and weekend escapees from the urban bustle.
No details have been found as to when Mono Township became the Town of Mono. The merger of East Luther and Grand Valley happened in 1995, so it could be assumed that this change took place at the same time. For further description, see the Town of Mono.
Ontario Archives provides a map of Dufferin illustrating the townships, villages and towns in the timeframe 1946-1950.
Map of Dufferin Co provided by Dufferin County GenWeb shows cemeteries and historic communities. A click on a township leads to a second page of very useful historical information and links to other sources.
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1914 are now available [October 2012]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada. All of the original census (1851-1911) images are online with the exception of that for 1861. Not all of them are indexed. Later censuses are not yet available. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited.
E-books and Books
Dufferin Ontario GenWeb provides a valuable variety of references, including transcribed indexes to most BMDs.