Place:Monkseaton, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.043°N 1.459°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoTynemouth, Northumberland, Englandancient borough in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Whitley Bay, Northumberland, Englandurban district in which it was located 1894-1913
Whitley and Monkseaton, Northumberland, Englandurban district in which it was located 1913-1974
North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it is a part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Monkseaton is a village near Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, in the northeast of England. It is in the northeastern section of the borough, less than a kilometre from the North Sea coast and around 5 km north of the River Tyne at North Shields. A kilometre or so north of Monkseaton, the extensive built-up area of North Tyneside changes abruptly into green belt stretching north into southeast Northumberland. Monkseaton had a population of 19,044 in the UK census of 2011.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Monkseaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MONKSEATON, a township in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; 2½ miles NNW of North Shields. Acres: 1,110. Population: 421. Houses: 80. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. The stump of an ancient cross, called the Monk's stone, is here; and a gallows of the prior of Tynemouth stood near it. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a large brewery, and several collieries."

Monkseaton was a originally a township in the ancient parish of Tynemouth and eventually had two ecclesiastical parishes: Monkseaton St. Peter and Monkseaton St. Mary. It was a civil parish between 1866 and 1913 and from 1984 until 1913 located in Whitley Bay Urban District. In 1913 Whitley Bay Urban District became Whitley and Monkseaton civil parish and Urban District. Whitley and Monkseaton was expanded in 1935 by the abolition and absorbtion of Seaton Delaval.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Monkseaton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.