A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Monkhouse from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887 stated that its area was only 1 acre.
Monks House was an extra parochial area on the North Sea coast of Northumberland between the parishes of Bamburgh and Shoreston. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of North Sunderland.
Monks House appears to have been the correct name for this settlement, but Monkhouse has been used by some authorities. Monks House was even found on Google Earth.