Place:Monkwearmouth Shore, Durham, England

NameMonkwearmouth Shore
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.92°N 1.368°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoMonkwearmouth, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located until 1829
Easington Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located after 1829
Sunderland, Durham, Englandcounty borough into which it was absorbed in 1897
City of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan district in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Monkwearmouth Shore from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WEARMOUTH (Monk) SHORE, a township in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham; on the coast, within Sunderland borough. Acres: 308; of which 58 are water. Real property: £27,984; of which £100 are in iron-works, and £480 in railways. Population in 1851: 10,109; in 1861: 15,139. Houses: 1,892. The increase of population arose mainly from extension of ship-building, of chain, anchor, rope, and canvass factories, of rolling-mills, steam, saw, and flour-mills, and of mining operations. See Sunderland."

Monkwearmouth Shore was originally a township in the ancient parish of Monkwearmouth, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1897 it was abolished and absorbed into Sunderland. Since 1974 has been part of the borough of City of Sunderland in Tyne and Wear. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

Research Tips