The sports teams of the Mohawk school district call themselves the "Mohicans". The Mohawk Nation occupied the Mohawk Valley.
Mohawk was originally settled by Palatine Germans after 1722.
In 1725, the Queen of England and Governor Burnet granted Mohawk to the Palatine Germans in what was known as the Burnetsfield Patent.
George Washington was known to stop in Mohawk to have lunch at the Shoemaker Tavern on his way to and from Fort Stanwix in Rome, NY.
Mohawk became known as Bennetts Corners after a hotel stand that was located here in 1826.
In 1838, the village officially became known as Mohawk.
The village was incorporated on April 16, 1844. The first President of the Village, Frederick Bellinger came into office on May 4 of that same year.
The first Mayor of Mohawk was James V. Casey, was elected in 1960. The current mayor is Irene Dibble.
Mohawk is one of only twelve villages in New York still incorporated under a charter, the other villages having incorporated or re-incorporated under the provisions of Village Law.
Among famous Mohawk natives are Francis E. Spinner, who served as Treasurer of the United States during and after the Civil War and was celebrated for his distinctive signature as well as the first federal official to employ women; Gregory B. Jarvis, the astronaut who died tragically in the Challenger shuttle crash. The local high school is now named after him; Walter G. Bruska, distinguished Cornell University alumnus, nationally-recognized collegiate football player, and vice president of several prominent American universities; Robert E. Fistick, also a Cornell alumnus, noted national journalist and newspaper publisher with Gannett, Hearst, and Whitney publishing organizations and later a deputy director at The Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.