- source: Family History Library Catalog
- "Mitford, a village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland which was once a market-town, stands at the confluence of the rivers Font and Wansbeck, near the Wansbeck Valley railway, near Morpeth. It has a post and money order office under Morpeth; telegraph office, Morpeth. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage: 1898; population: 194. The parish contains also the townships of Molesden, Spital Hill, Edington, Benridge, Newton Underwood, Newton Park, Throphill, Nunriding, Pigdon, and High and Low Highlaws. Population [of parish]: 570.
- "The manor belonged before the Norman Conquest to the Mitfords, passed by marriage soon after the Conquest to Sir Roger Bertram, was ravished by the Flemish Eutars in consequence of Roger Bertram having joined the barons against King John, was forfeited in 1264 in consequence of Bert. de Mitford having rebelled against Henry III., passed to the Earls of Pembroke and Athole and to the Percys, went back to the Mitfords in the time of Charles II., and is associated with William Freeman Mitford (connected with John T. F. Mitford, late Baron Eedesdale), author of the "History of Greece, and with Mary Russell Mitford, author of " Our Village." A castle was built in 1150-70 by John de Mitford, and is still represented by a ruined massive keep, with two posterns and two waggon-headed vaults. The old manor house was built in 1637 out of materials of the castle, and is still represented by a turreted porch and some offices.
- " The present mansion, the seat of the Mitford family, is a modern edifice after designs by Dobson. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value: £357 with residence. The church stands embosomed in trees, is an ancient cruciform structure with Norman nave, a good Norman door, and an Early English chancel, and contains effigies of a Bertram and a Eeveley and several stained windows. It was allowed to fall into decay, and the nave was for a time roofless, but in 1873 it was thoroughly restored and enlarged."
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5
Townships in Parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.