Place:Milverton, Warwickshire, England

NameMilverton
Alt namesOld Milvertonsource: made into separate parish in 1894
New Milvertonsource: made into separate parish in 1894
TypeChapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Suburb
Coordinates52.304°N 1.56°W
Located inWarwickshire, England
See alsoLeek Wootton, Warwickshire, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Warwick Rural, Warwickshire, Englandrural district in which part of it was situated 1894-1974
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, Englandmunicipal borough in which part of it was situated 1894-1974
Warwick District, Warwickshire, Englandadministrative district covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


Milverton was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Leek Wootton in the Knightlow Hundred of Warwickshire. It became a separate ancient parish after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1530s. It was made a civil parish in 1866.

In 1894 it was made into two separate parishes named Old Milverton and New Milverton. Old Milverton became part of the Warwick Rural District, while New Milverton was absorbed into Leamington Spa. Since 1974 both Old Milverton and New Milverton have been in the Warwick District.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Milverton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MILVERTON, a parish in the [registration] district and county of Warwick; on the river Avon, and on the Leamington and Coventry railway, 2 miles NNE of Warwick. It contains a portion of the town of Leamington, a station on the Leamington and Coventry railway, and a goods station for Leamington and Warwick on the Northwestern railway. Post town: Leamington. Acres: 1,180. Real property: £12,504. Population in 1851: 1,061; in 1861: 1,366. Houses: 281. Population of the part within Leamington town: 341. Houses: 66. Emscote Manor House is the seat of Mr. W. Newsham. The scenery within the parish, and the views commanded from it, are very fine. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £78. Patron: the Earl of Warwick. The church is ancient; and consists of nave and chancel, with a wooden belfry. A proprietorial church was built in 1836, on Milverton-hill; is an edifice in the Doric style, with tetrastyle portico, and circular bell tower; contains about 800 sittings; forms a separate charge, in the patronage of the Earl of Warwick; and is sometimes called New Milverton, while the parish church is called Old Milverton.

Research Tips

  • The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
  • GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
  • Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
  • The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Old Milverton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.