Place:Milton, Saratoga, New York, United States

Watchers


NameMilton
TypeTown
Coordinates43.045182°N 73.851355°W
Located inSaratoga, New York, United States

Research Tips

source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Milton is a town in Saratoga County, New York, USA. The population was 17,103 at the 2000 census. Some believe that the town was named after the poet, John Milton, while other sources state that it is a shortening of "Mill-town" for the early mill activity.

The Town of Milton is an interior town in the central part of the county. Milton is southwest of Saratoga Springs.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

This region was part of the Kayaderossera patent of 1708. The town was first settled around 1772.

The Town of Milton was established in 1792 from part of the Town of Ballston. In 1793, part of the town was taken to form part of the Town of Greenfield.

In 1807, part of Milton was lost when Ballston Spa became an incorporated village.

In the mid-to-late-19th century, the Town of Milton was the site of numerous manufacturing concerns. The most famous was the paper mills of "Paper Bag King" George West, who invented a line of square-bottomed paper bags and sold them by the millions soon after the American Civil War. There were also the celebrated hard edge tool factories of Isaiah Blood, the large planing, sash, and door mill of Benjamin Barber, the National Folding Box paper mill, and the Cottrell Paper Mill, the only manufacturer that still operates today. All of these mills were water-powered, and therefore succumbed to competition from electric-powered factories in the early 20th century.

The Town of Milton had its very own terminal trolley railroad line early in the 20th century. Called The Ballston Terminal Railroad, it spanned 12 miles from Ballston Spa to Rock City Falls and Middle Grove. It was unique in that it was one of the few trolley railroads in the country to serve primarily industry rather than carry passengers. The trolley operated from 1898 to 1929.

The Kesselring Site for Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program was established in 1948 in West Milton.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Milton (town), New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.