Milford is a borough located in western Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 1,233, reflecting an increase of 38 (+3.2%) from the 1,195 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 78 (-6.1%) from the 1,273 counted in the 1990 Census.
Milford was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 15, 1911, from portions of Holland Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 8, 1911. The borough's incorporation was confirmed on March 13, 1925.
The borough is located on the Delaware River in the western portion of Hunterdon County, known as the Hunterdon Plateau. The Borough dates to the mid-18th century when a grist mill was established here. After the mill was destroyed by fire in 1769, the settlement became known as Burnt Mills. The town became commonly known as "Millford" by the beginning of the 19th century, but by 1844 the name had lost an "L". It was incorporated in 1911 but the official incorporation was not registered until 1925.