Place:Midlothian, Scotland

Watchers
NameMidlothian
Alt namesMeadhan Lodainnsource: Wikipedia
Edinburghshiresource: Gazetter of Scotland
TypeTraditional county
Coordinates55.833°N 3.067°W
Located inScotland     ( - 1975)
See alsoLothian, Scotlandregional administration 1975-1996
Midlothian (council area), Scotlandunitary Council Area since 1996
Contained Places
Hamlet
Coalpit ( - 1975 )
Craighall ( - 1975 )
Hunterfield ( - 1975 )
Leadburn ( - 1975 )
Stobhill ( - 1975 )
Stony Hill ( - 1975 )
Inhabited place
Balerno ( - 1975 )
Bonnington ( - 1975 )
Bonnyrigg ( - 1975 )
Cowpits ( - 1975 )
Cramond (village) ( - 1975 )
Dalkeith (town) ( - 1975 )
Duddingston (village) ( - 1975 )
East Calder (town) ( - 1975 )
Edinburgh ( - 1975 )
Gogar ( - 1975 )
Gorebridge ( - 1975 )
Heriot (village) ( - 1975 )
Inveresk (village) ( - 1975 )
Kirknewton (village) ( - 1975 )
Lasswade (village) ( - 1975 )
Leith ( - 1920 )
Loanhead ( - 1975 )
Musselburgh ( - 1975 )
Oakbank ( - 1975 )
Penicuik (town) ( - 1975 )
Polbeth ( - 1975 )
Portobello ( - 1975 )
Riccarton ( - 1975 )
Roslin ( - 1975 )
Stow (village) ( - 1975 )
Wilkieston ( - 1975 )
Parish
Borthwick ( - 1975 )
Carrington ( - 1975 )
Cockpen ( - 1975 )
Colinton ( 1654 - 1920 )
Corstorphine ( 1690 - 1920 )
Cramond ( - 1891 )
Cranston ( - 1975 )
Crichton ( - 1975 )
Currie ( - 1975 )
Dalkeith ( - 1975 )
Duddingston ( - 1896 )
East Calder ( - 1975 )
Edinburgh ( - 1975 )
Fala and Soutra ( - 1975 )
Glencorse ( - 1975 )
Heriot ( - 1975 )
Inveresk ( - 1975 )
Lasswade ( - 1975 )
Leith ( - 1920 )
Liberton ( - 1920 )
Mid Calder ( - 1975 )
Newbattle ( - 1975 )
Newton ( - 1975 )
Penicuik ( - 1975 )
Ratho ( - 1975 )
Stow ( - 1975 )
Temple ( - 1975 )
West Calder ( - 1975 )
Suburb
Bonnington ( - 1975 )
Craigmillar ( - 1975 )
Granton ( 1920 - 1975 )
Liberton (village) ( - 1975 )
Liberton ( - 1920 )
Newhaven ( - 1975 )
Newington ( - 1975 )
Restalrig ( - 1975 )
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

image:Midlothian.jpg
The County of Midlothian was a traditional county of Scotland which covered Edinburgh, Scotland's capital, some area to both the east and west, and a sizeable area to the south, so that its size was 362 sq. miles or 937 km2. In the 19th century it was often called Edinburghshire. From 1890 Edinburgh was a separate burgh or independent local authority responsible for its own administration. However, the administration offices for Midlothian were in Edinburgh.

The industry of the county was based on farming to service the local markets of Edinburgh, fishing to make use of its coastline along the Firth of Forth, and mining--for coal and for building materials such as stone and limestone.

In 1975, Scotland abolished its traditional counties and was divided into twelve regions. The regions were each divided into a number of districts to handle local government. Midlothian became part of the Lothian Region whose boundaries were substantially reduced on the southern side, but expanded east and west to include East Lothian and West Lothian respectively. Several of the southern parishes in the former Midlothian became part of the Borders Region.

In 1996, the regions were abolished and since that time Scotland has been divided into 32 Council Areas, each of which is unitary in nature. The Lothian Region was separated into the Midlothian Council Area, the East Lothian Council Area and the City of Edinburgh Council Area. As can be seen on the map, some of the parishes were transferred to neighbouring Council Areas.

The above notes were based on Scottish Places' article "Old County of Midlothian", Wikipedia's article on Midlothian, and a description of 19th century Midlothian found in "Bartholemew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887" and reproduced online by GENUKI Scotland.

Research Tips

Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses

  • Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.

Further Sources of Reference

Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.

  • Scottish Places article on Midlothian--more information may be found by following the tabs on the right. The parish maps in this series are very useful.
  • FamilySearch Wiki article on the county of Midlothian providing direct reference to FamilySearch holdings on many topics with respect to the parish.
  • The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
  • The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
  • Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.