|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England ( - 1934)|
|See also||St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Old Romney, Kent, England||civil parish to which the land was transferred in 1934|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Midley was a civil parish until 1934 when it was absorbed into the civil parish of Old Romney. It is now part of the Shepway District of Kent, England. Midley was originally an ancient parish in the St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred and Romney Marsh Liberty.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Midley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MIDLEY, a parish in Romney Marsh [registration] district, Kent; 2¾ miles WSW of New Romney, and 5¾ SE of Appledore [railway] station. Post town, New Romney, under Folkestone. Acres: 2,153. Real property: £5,785. Population: 42. Houses: 6. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £129. Patron: Sir J. T. Tyrrell, Bart. There is no church."
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Midley, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Old Romney, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England