Place:Middleton-in-Teesdale, Durham, England

Watchers


NameMiddleton-in-Teesdale
Alt namesMiddleton in Teesdalesource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeVillage
Coordinates54.623°N 2.078°W
Located inDurham, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Middleton-in-Teesdale is a small market town in County Durham, in England. It is situated on the north side of Teesdale between Eggleston and Newbiggin, a few miles to the north-west of Barnard Castle. The settlement is surrounded by the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The small market town in Upper Teesdale expanded in the early 19th century when the London Lead Company moved its northern headquarters there from Blanchland in Northumberland. Much of the architecture from its days as a company town is still clearly visible. This includes Middleton House, formerly the headquarters of the company, the school (which is now an outdoor centre) and some company houses. It served as the terminus of a railway line from Barnard Castle until this was closed as part of the Beeching Axe.

Middleton also has links to the early Co-operative Society and may pre-date the Rochdale Pioneers. There are also many early Methodist chapels.

On 20 June 1939, a British American Air Services De Havilland Dragon Rapide (Registration:G-AERE) flying from Heston Aerodrome to Newcastle Airport crashed at Forest-in-Teesdale near Middleton-in-Teesdale. The weather was bad and the aircraft was flying low. The accident killed all three passengers and crew on board.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Middleton-in-Teesdale. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.