|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Belford, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Belford Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Detchant, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Middleton in 1955|
|Elwick, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Middleton in 1955|
|Ross, Northumberland, England||civil parish absorbed into Middleton in 1955|
|Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Middleton is a very common name for a place. A Vision of Britain through Time lists 34 places named Middleton in England and Wales; 5 of them are in Northumberland. The other four are two pairs of North and South Middletons: one pair is southwest of the village of Wooler; the other pair is west of Morpeth and almost too small for a modern atlas.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Middleton is a civil parish in Northumberland, England. The parish is situated on the North Sea coast, south of the island of Lindisfarne (or Holy Island), and since 1955 has contained the parishes of Middleton, Ross, Detchant and Elwick; each parish was centred around a shrunken medieval village. Both the A1 London to Edinburgh road and East Coast Main Line pass through Middleton. In the 2001 UK census the parish had a population of 136, falling to 115 at the 2011 Census.
Middleton was a township in the ancient parish of Belford. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the neighbouring parishes of Detchant, Elwick and Ross. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Middleton became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Middleton, Northumberland, England | Belford, Northumberland, England | Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, England | Belford Rural, Northumberland, England | Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, England