|Alt names||High Mickley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Mickley Square||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Ovingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1910|
|Prudhoe, Northumberland, England||urban district into which it was absorbed in 1910|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mickley is a small hamlet near Prudhoe and Stocksfield in the English county of Northumberland, England. It lies south of the River Tyne and is accessible via the A695 road. The neighbouring villages of Mickley Square and High Mickley are usually included under the general name of Mickley. This village once produced "mickley bricks," which can still be found in neighbouring areas. The brick kiln remains at the lower end of Mickley.
The Mickley settlements are served by St George's Church, which was built in 1830.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mickley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MICKLEY, a township and a chapelry in Ovingham parish, Northumberland. The township lies near a side station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 9½ miles E by S of Hexham; and contains the village of Mickley-Square, which has a post office under Stocksfield. Acres: 1,188. Population in 1851: 566; in 1861: 1,208. Houses: 216. The increase of population arose from extension of collieries. The manor belongs to W. B. Wrightson, Esq. Coal-mining and coking are largely carried on by the Mickley Coal company.
- "The chapelry contains also six other townships. Population, 2,800. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £90. Patron: W. B. Wrightson, Esq. The church was built in 1824. There is an endowed school, with capacity for 200 children."
The townships in Mickley chapelry are not listed in A Vision of Britain through Time.
Mickley was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1910 Mickley became part of Prudhoe Urban District. When urban and rural district were abolished in 1974 Mickley may have achieved more independence within the newly-formed Tynedale District. Northumberland became a unitary authority in 2009.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Mickley, Northumberland, England | Ovingham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Prudhoe, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England