- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Merton was an ancient parish in the Brixton hundred of Surrey, England. It was bounded by Wimbledon to the north, Mitcham to the east, Morden to the south and Kingston upon Thames to the west. The 1871 Ordnance Survey map records its area as . The parish was centred around the 12th century parish church, St. Mary's in Merton Park. The parish had only nominal existence after 1907 when the Merton Parish Council was abolished and the parish formed the Merton Urban District. Merton contributed its name to the London Borough of Merton, although Merton itself is no longer a clearly defined area within the borough; and the parish was abolished on 1 April 1965 when Greater London was created.
- Merton is also the name of a modern borough of London. See the Wikipedia article.