Place:Merther, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NameMerther
TypeFormer village
Coordinates50.238°N 4.976°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoPowder Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
Truro Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
St. Michael-Penkevil, Cornwall, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1934
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Merther is located two miles (3 km) east of Truro in Cornwall, England. Merther church is dedicated to St Coan but is now disused and ruinous. A new church was built at Tresillian Bridge in 1904 (the font, bells, statue of St Anthony and pulpit from Merther were moved to the new church). The church was abandoned in the mid-20th century. Until 1866 Merther Church was a chapelry to Probus; it then became a separate parish but was united with Lamorran in 1900.

Merther was part of the Truro Rural District from 1894 until 1934. In 1934 the civil parish was abolished to enlarge the parish of St. Michael-Penkevil. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Merther from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MERTHER, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on St. Clement's creek, an inner offshoot of the Fal river., 6 miles E by S of Truro [railway] station. Post town, Tresilian, under Probus, Cornwall. Acres: 1,726. Real property: £2,088. Population: 384. Houses: 79. The manor and most of the land belong to Viscount Falmouth. Tresawsen, now a farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Hals family, and was inhabited by William Hals, author of the "Parochial History of Cornwall. Tresilian bridge spans St. Clement's creek, at the boundary with Probus parish; and a commerce up to that point is carried on in coal, lime, and timber. The gate-house of Tregothnan, the seat of Viscount Falmouth, adjoins the bridge. Here was the place where the royal army surrendered to Fairfax in 1646. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £32. Patron, the Vicar of Probus. The church is ancient but good; and has a tower surmounted by a wooden bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £20 a year."

Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lamorran and Merther. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.