Place:Meppershall, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers
NameMeppershall
Alt namesMalpertessellesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 30
Maperteshalesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 30
Mepshallsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52°N 0.333°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
Also located inHertfordshire, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoDacorum Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Meppershall is a hilltop village in Bedfordshire, England near Shefford, Campton, Shillington, Stondon and surrounded by farmland. Until 1844 Meppershall was partially in Hertfordshire. The detached portion of Hertfordshire was transferred to Bedfordshire in 1844, following the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844.

The Village and the Manor House are mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086. The Manor House belonged to the De Meppershall family for nearly 300 years following 1086; however, the present house is early 17th century.

St. Mary's church dates back to the Normans. The Parish Records of St Mary, Meppershall, have been published on CD by the Parochial Church Council.

Before the advent of greenhouses, Meppershall was a very poor community with large families living in two up, two down type thatched cottages built of brick with stone floors. However so many greenhouses were built in the village that it was known as "glass city" growing salad crops for local markets and shipped further afield via the railway.

Research Tips



This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Meppershall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.