Meppershall is a hilltop village in Bedfordshire, England near Shefford, Campton, Shillington, Stondon and surrounded by farmland. Until 1844 Meppershall was partially in Hertfordshire. The detached portion of Hertfordshire was transferred to Bedfordshire in 1844, following the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844.
The Village and the Manor House are mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086. The Manor House belonged to the De Meppershall family for nearly 300 years following 1086; however, the present house is early 17th century.
St. Mary's church dates back to the Normans. The Parish Records of St Mary, Meppershall, have been published on CD by the Parochial Church Council.
Before the advent of greenhouses, Meppershall was a very poor community with large families living in two up, two down type thatched cottages built of brick with stone floors. However so many greenhouses were built in the village that it was known as "glass city" growing salad crops for local markets and shipped further afield via the railway.