|Alt names||Menestoche||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 124|
|Menestoches||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 124|
|Meon-Stoke||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Meonstoke Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Droxford Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1932|
|Corhampton and Meonstoke, Hampshire, England||civil parish into which it was merged in 1932|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Meonstoke is a village in eastern Hampshire, England. Meonstoke lies in the Meon Valley where the river cuts through the Middle Chalk of the South Downs. Old Winchester Hill is at the edge of the parish to the east.
The village sits on the eastern bank of the River Meon. On the northern part of the western bank is Corhampton. The A32 road crosses the river between the two villages, which have formed the single civil parish of Corhampton and Meonstoke since 1932. On the southern part of the bank is Droxford. Soberton lies to the south of the parish, Hambledon to the east and Exton to the north.
In the 13th century, Meonstoke was granted a weekly market, suggesting the importance of the village at the time. The church of St Andrew also mainly dates from the 13th century, with a later tower, probably 15th century with early 20th-century repairs.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Meonstoke.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Meonstoke, Hampshire, England | Meonstoke Hundred, Hampshire, England | Droxford Rural, Hampshire, England | Corhampton and Meonstoke, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England