Place:Mendham, Suffolk, England

TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.3977°N 1.3376°E
Located inSuffolk, England
Also located inNorfolk, England     (1885 - )
See alsoEarsham Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which the Norfolk portion was located
Hoxne Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which the Suffolk portion was located
Hoxne Rural, Suffolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Hartismere Rural, Suffolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
Mid Suffolk District, Suffolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Mendham is a village and civil parish in the Mid Suffolk District of Suffolk in eastern England. Located on the east bank of the River Waveney around a mile east of Harleston, in 2005 its population was 440. The parish includes the hamlet of Withersdale Street. The Mendham Marshes are also within the parish boundaries.

Until the 19th century, around 25% of the parish fell in Norfolk and 75% in Suffolk. In 1885 the Norfolk portion was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Wortwell (remaining in Norfolk, but with a different name).

Mendham's most famous son, born to a local miller, went on to become Sir Alfred James Munnings KCVO, PRA (8 October 1878 – 17 July 1959), known as one of England's finest painters of horses, and as an outspoken enemy of Modernism. An extract of one of his paintings, featuring a local lady, Charlotte Gray leading a white pony along the banks of the River Waveney, has been incorporated into the Mendham village sign. Charlotte Gray is buried in Mendham church.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mendham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MENDHAM, a village in Hoxne [registration] district, Suffolk, and a parish partly also in Norfolk. The village stands on the river Waveney at the boundary with Norfolk, 1¾ mile ESE of Harleston [railway] station; and has a postal letter-box under Harleston. The parish comprises 3,144 acres. Real property of the Suffolk portion: £4,286. Population: 558. Houses: 121. Real property of the Norfolk portion: £1,963. Population, 221. Houses: 49. There are three manors, Walsham Hall, Mendham King's Hall, and Priory; and the first belongs to W. S. Holmes, Esq., the second and the third, to Sir Robert S. Adair, Bart. The Priory is the residence of Capt. T. Wood. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Castle-Acre in Norfolk, was founded here, in the time of [King] Stephen, by William, son of Roger de Huntingfield; was given, at the dissolution, to the Brandons; and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £122. Patron: the Rev. E. W. Whitaker. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains three good brasses of the Freston family, and several mural monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a parochial school."

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at , Suffolk. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
[[Category:Hartismere Rural, Suffolk, England