Melville is an affluent hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in the Town of Huntington in Suffolk County on Long Island, New York, in the United States. The population was 18,985 at the 2010 census.
History and characteristics
The area was known to the native Americans as Sunsquams. In the 17th century it was known as Samuel Ketcham's Valley, named for a local resident. Afterwards it was known as Sweet Hollow. This name was replaced by Melville in school records in 1854. There is some debate as to the origin of the Melville name. It may be derived from the Latin for honey (the area had an abundance of honey bees, and this may have also been the origin of the previous Sweet Hollow name). It should also be noted that the author Herman Melville was being published around this time.
A Presbyterian church was built in Melville in 1829 at the corner of Old Country and Sweet Hollow Roads. In 1977 the church was moved to the west. The church was in continuous use until 1930. It reopened in 1944 for the funeral of Edward Baylis and has been in use since then.
In 1909 a trolley line to Huntington was established. This was an extension of the Huntington Trolley Spur and went as far south as Amityville and had a connection to Babylon. There were six fare zones, one of which was the Duryea Farm at Melville. The line was shut down a decade later after farmers complained that noise from the trolley frightened their animals. Buses provided transportation after the trolley line closed. The growing use of private cars also reduced demand for the trolley line.
In May 2011, construction commenced for the replacement of the Northern State Parkway bridge over Route 110. The original bridge was 63 years old. The project was budgeted for $56,000,000 and is expected to be completed in winter of 2013 and 2014.