- source: Family History Library Catalog
Melchnau in the Historical Dictionary of Switzerland (HDS) in german it is known as the Historisches Lexikon der Schweiz
Summary: Before the reformation in the 1500’s Melchnau was in Grossdietwil parish of Lucerne Canton, so it shares a border with the Catholic Canton of Lucerne. In 1764 there were 628 people and by 1850 there were 1478 people in the gemeinde which included the village, hamlets and farms in an area of 4 square miles. The kirchgemeinde of Melchnau includes the gemeinden of Melchnau, Busswil, Gondiswil, and Reisiswil; before 1798 it also included Auswil. The kirchgemeinde covered an area of 9.5 square miles without Auswil and a population of about 1800 people in 1764 and 3700 people in 1850. Besides farming there was straw and linen weaving, and shoemaking.
Further information about Melchnau can be about at the familysearch wiki.