|Alt names||Medsted||source: alternate spelling|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located until 1834|
|Bishops Sutton Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Bentworth, Hampshire, England||parish of which it was a part until around 1850|
|Alton Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Medstead is a village and civil parish in the East Hampshire of Hampshire. It is 4.3 miles (6.9 km) west-southwest of Alton. The village has a population of around 2,000 and adjoins the village of Four Marks. The village also has its own restored railway station on the Watercress Line, services from which connect with the nearest national rail station 4.3 miles (6.9 km) to the northeast, at Alton.
At one time, Medstead came under the large civil parish of Bentworth until its decline in the mid-19th century. Today, Medstead's parish borders the parish of Bentworth.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Medstead.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Medstead, Hampshire, England | Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England | Bishops Sutton Hundred, Hampshire, England | Bentworth, Hampshire, England | Alton Rural, Hampshire, England | East Hampshire District, Hampshire, England