|Located in||Worcestershire, England ( - 1897)|
|Also located in||Herefordshire, England (1897 - 1974)|
|Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Herefordshire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Pershore (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred of which the parish was a part|
|Mathon Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1897|
|Ledbury Rural, Herefordshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1897-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mathon is a village and civil parish now in the English county of Herefordshire, lying just to the west of the Malvern Hills between Malvern and Ledbury. Nearby villages include Cradley and Colwall.
end of Wikipedia contribution
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mathon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MATHON, a parish in the [registration] district of Ledbury and county of Worcester; under the Malvern hills, adjacent to Herefordshire, 3 miles W of Great Malvern [railway] station. It contains part of the chapelry of West Malvern, which has a post office under Malvern. Acres: 3,366. Real property: £6,284. Population in 1851: 824; in 1861: 1,014. Houses: 194. The increase of population was chiefly within West Malvern chapelry; and the entire population in the Mathon part of that chapelry in 1861 was 539.
- "The property in Mathon proper is divided among a few; and that in West Malvern chapelry is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. Mathon Court is the seat of Mrs. Vale; Moorend House, of R. A. Swain, Esq.; Southend, of T. Bennett, Esq.; and Netherly, of R. M'Bean, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £194. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is variously Norman, decorated English, and later; underwent some recent embellishment; comprises nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains a fine old carved pulpit, a new octagonal stone font, and monuments of several ancient families. There is a national school."
Mathon was the single parish in Mathon Rural District in Worcestershire, from 1894 until 1897. In 1897 the county border was redrawn and Mathon was transferred to Ledbury Rural District in Herefordshire. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
The parishes of Colwall and Cradley, mentioned by Wikipedia, have always been in Herefordshire.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
- A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 4 edited by William Page and J W Willis-Bund covers the city of Worcester, as well as parishes in the hundreds of Pershore and Doddingtree, in the south and west of the county. These include the towns of Pershore, Great Malvern and Hanley Castle. (Victoria County History - Worcestershire. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1924, and available free online from British History Online)
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Mathon, Worcestershire, England | Pershore (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Mathon Rural, Worcestershire, England | Ledbury Rural, Herefordshire, England | Herefordshire, England | Hereford and Worcester, England