|Alt names||Martyr-Worthy||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Ordie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 124|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Itchen Valley, Hampshire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Martyr Worthy is a small village in the English county of Hampshire. It is part of a cluster of small villages - the 'Worthys' which made up a Registration District in the 19th century.
Martyr Worthy is located on the banks of the River Itchen to the northeast of the city of Winchester. It has a Church of England parish church – St Swithun's – which is Grade II* listed. The village is part of the modern civil parish of Itchen Valley and is part of the City of Winchester non-metropolitan district of Hampshire County Council.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Martyr Worthy.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Martyr Worthy, Hampshire, England | Fawley Hundred, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Itchen Valley, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England