|Alt names||Marston Sicca||source: when in Gloucestershire before 1931|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Warwickshire, England (1931 - present)|
|See also||Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1931|
|Stratford-upon-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1931-1974|
|Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Long Marston is a village and civil parish about 5 miles (8.0 km) southwest of Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, England. The parish had a population of 385 according to the UK census of 2001. The southern and western boundaries of the parish form part of the county boundary with Gloucestershire.
Prior to being moved to Warwickshire, Long Marston Parish was known as Marston Sicca Parish in Gloucestershire. The Provisional Order Confirmation (Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire) Act which transferred it to Warwickshire also changed its name to Long Marston.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI Gloucestershire and GENUKI Warwickshire give pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the individual counties. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire and The FamilySearch Wiki for Warwickshireprovides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of Gloucestershire. However, there is a series of 7 volumes for Warwickshire.
- Comparing a map of Gloucestershire parishes in 1900 with a map of Gloucestershire parishes made in the 1943 helps to illustrate how the county borders changed through this period.
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Marston Sicca Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Stratford-upon-Avon Rural, Warwickshire, England | Stratford-on-Avon (district), Warwickshire, England | Long Marston, Gloucestershire, England