Marske-by-the-Sea is a village in the unitary authority of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. It is located on the coast, between the seaside resorts of Redcar and Saltburn-by-the-Sea, although it is not itself a seaside resort. Marske is in the civil parish of Saltburn, Marske and New Marske and comprises the wards of Longbeck (shared with New Marske) and St Germains.
From 1894 until 1932, Marske was part of Guisborough Rural District. In 1932 it was divided between Saltburn and Marske-by-the-Sea Urban District and Redcar County Borough. It was completely transferred to the new and short-lived county of Cleveland in 1974, and, since 1996, is part of the unitary authority of Redcar and Cleveland. Historically, it was an ecclesiastical parish in the Langbargh Wapentake.
Marske is mentioned in the Domesday Book. St Germain's Church was consecrated by bishop Ægelric between 1042 and 1056. Marske was amerced 20 marks for its part in the pillaging of a Norwegian vessel in 1180.
The Royal Flying Corps had a landing strip and schools in Marske. 'Captain' W. E. Johns, the author of the Biggles books, was based at Marske during part of the First World War, from April till August 1918. The Bristol M1C Monoplane, The Red Devil, was first flown from this RFC base. The RAF later administered a base here. After the Second World War the site of the aerodrome became an ICI depot and later a housing estate, Barnes Wallis Way, with roads named on an aeronautical theme: Avro Close, Blackburn Grove, De Havilland Drive - leading onto Vickers Lane-, Beardmore Avenue, Folland Drive, Wellington Close, Brabazon Drive, Halifax Close and Lysander Court.