Marshall is a census-designated place (CDP) in northwestern Fauquier County, Virginia. The population as of the 2010 Census was 1,480. Marshall was originally known as Salem. The town became Marshall after a short-lived incorporation. Marshall is named after John Marshall, the former United States Supreme Court Chief Justice who grew up at Oak Hill in nearby Delaplane.
The town is centered along State Route 55 between two exits on Interstate 66. Although Marshall has historically been an agricultural community, its fortuitous designation as one of 5 service districts within Fauquier County, and exclusively within northern Fauquier County, has resulted in a renaissance of business and professional service offerings to the mostly equestrian and agricultural interests in the surrounding region.
Marshall is home to the Fauquier Heritage and Preservation Foundation, as well as the One Room School House PS18 which was the last one-room schoolhouse in Fauquier County to close in the 1960s. It has been renovated and school groups often visit.
Marshall is also home to the oldest Ford dealership in the country; it has been in the same building since 1915.