Place:Marlston-cum-Lache, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameMarlston-cum-Lache
Alt namesMarlston-cum-Leachsource: A Vision of Britain through Time, Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.161°N 2.912°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBroxton (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1871
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part after 1871
Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Marlston-cum-Lache is a civil parish in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and ceremonial county of Cheshire. In the UK census of 2001 it had a population of 112. Marlston cum Lache is served by the A483 road which is the main road to Chester.

Until 1866 Marlston-cum-Lache was a township in the ancient parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Marlston-cum-Lache from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MARLSTON-CUM-LEACH, a township in St. Mary-on-the-Hill parish, Cheshire; on the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, adjacent to the boundary with Wales, 2¾ miles SSW of Chester. Acres: 975. Real property: £1,457. Population: 163. Houses: 27."

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Marlston cum Lache. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.