|Alt names||Marthingheforda||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 192|
|Merlingeforda||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 192|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
|See also||Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Forehoe and Henstead Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1935-1974|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Gazetteer descriptions of Marlingford are scarce but GENUKI presents one from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883 from which we learn that it was a parish with 226 inhabitants in 1881, and comprised 661 acres of land. It was in the Forehoe union, hundred, and petty sessional division, the Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, the Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, and the Forehoe division of Hingham rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. Names of families buried in the church are listed.
In 1935 Marlingford absorbed the neighbouring civil parish of Colton. The resulting parish continued to be called Marlingford for a while, but following the county restructuring into "districts" in 1974, the parish has been named Marlingford and Colton.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Marlingford and Colton is a civil parish in the English county of Norfolk, made from the two villages of those names, both previously church parishes. It covers an area of 6.62 km2 (2.56 sq mi) and had a population of 384 in 148 households at the 2001 UK census, the population reducing to 375 at the 2011 UK census. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of South Norfolk.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Marlingford. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Marlingford, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England | Forehoe and Henstead Rural, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England