Mansfield Woodhouse is a large village about north of Mansfield itself, in Nottinghamshire, England, stretching alongside the main A60 road in a wide, low valley between the Rivers Maun and Meden. With a history dating back before the Romans, it is still noteworthy for its stone-built town centre.
Mansfield Woodhouse was a separate entity with its own UDC but after continuous development is now a large section within the larger Mansfield development area. Following a change in local government structure, in 1973 Mansfield Woodhouse and Warsop UDCs merged with the municipal borough of Mansfield to form a new council administration known as Mansfield District Council.
Mansfield Woodhouse's wealth was traditionally based on quarrying, mining, farming and textile industries.
The Romans had a fortress and a civilian settlement in the area (remains of a Roman villa were famously found here by Hayman Rooke in the 1780s). The area declined after the Romans left but by the 13th century there was a growing settlement of smallholders.
On 12 September 1304, fire completely destroyed Mansfield Woodhouse, including its timber-framed church. The town was rebuilt using local materials and the new stone-built church, dedicated to St. Edmund, still stands today.
The town recovered, and by Tudor times was home to a number of wealthy families. Farming and quarrying were the main livelihoods, and Mansfield Woodhouse also prospered with the growth of the textile and hosiery trades into the 19th century. One thing not commonly known about Mansfield Woodhouse is that locally quarried stone was used to build the Houses of Parliament. On the road to Edwinstowe stands the Parliament Oak, which, according to legend, was once the location of a session of Parliament held by the king. There is a plaque commemorating this.
During the UK miners' strike (1984-1985), Mansfield Woodhouse coal miners at nearby Sherwood Colliery broke the strike. This decision was made as part of the Nottinghamshire Union of Miners. The pit closed in 1992. The Colliery's football and cricket teams still carry on today through Sherwood Colliery Football Club and Sherwood Colliery Cricket Club.
Natives of Mansfield Woodhouse include D'Ewes Coke (1747–1811), an unusual combination of clergyman and colliery master. Mansfield Woodhouse is actually a village and known to be one of the biggest in the United Kingdom and is still growing by expanding into former farmland.