Place:Maldonado, Uruguay

Watchers


NameMaldonado
Alt namesMaldonadosource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeDepartment
Coordinates34.667°S 54.917°W
Located inUruguay
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The Maldonado Department, with an area of and 161,571 inhabitants, is located to the southeast of Uruguay. Its capital is Maldonado.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The origin of its name can be traced back to the year 1530, with the return to Spain of Sebastian Cabot, who had left the continent earlier that year, in January, leaving Lieutenant Francisco Maldonado near Maldonado's bay. The strategic importance of that bay led to the decision by Montevideo's governor Joaquin de Viana to build a settlement in Portezuelo (near the Laguna del Diario) in 1755. Two years later, in 1757, a civil and military settlement was founded around the bay and in the neighbouring Gorriti Island. Other settlements soon followed in the area, with the intention of limiting the Portuguese expansion. In 1828, the department of Maldonado was created, containing as well the territories now belonging to the department of Rocha, and most of Lavalleja.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Maldonado Department. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.