|Alt names||Mabe Burnthouse|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Kerrier Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|East Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Penryn, Cornwall, England||municipal borough of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Falmouth Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1995|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mabe (variant: La Vabe, Cornish: Lannvab) is a village and civil parish in Cornwall, England. The village is situated one mile (1.6 km) west of Penryn.
Mabe parish is bounded by Stithians and St. Gluvias to the north, Budock to the east, Mawnan and Constantine to the south and Wendron to the west.
The parish lies at the eastern edge of the Carnmenellis Granite intrusion. It is surrounded by several working and closed quarries. The Argal and College reservoirs lie to the south of the village.
The settlement of Mabe Burnthouse is situated on a hill overlooking Penryn and to the southwest is the location of the parish church, the Church of Saint Laud, which is dedicated to Saint Laudus, Bishop of Coutances.
Mabe was part of the East Kerrier Rural District from 1894 until 1934. In 1934 when East Kerrier Rural District was abolished, the parish was split between Kerrier Rural District and Penryn Municipal Borough. There were no further changes before 1974.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Kerrier Hundred, Cornwall, England | East Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, England | Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, England | Penryn, Cornwall, England | Falmouth Registration District, Cornwall, England | Mabe, Cornwall, England