Place:Lythe, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameLythe
TypeCivil parish, Village
Coordinates54.5062°N 0.695°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoWhitby Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Scarborough District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been located since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Lythe is a small village and large civil parish, in the Scarborough district of North Yorkshire, England, situated near Whitby within the North York Moors National Park.

According to the 2011 UK census, Lythe parish had a population of 377, a reduction on the 2001 UK census figure of 465.

It was in the old North Riding and in the wapentake of Langbaurgh East.

St Oswald’s Church is a plain stone building in the Early English style. The stained glass east window is a memorial to the Rev. William Long, who was vicar from 1813 to 1858. Inside the church are memorials to the Phipps family, and to the Marquess of Normanby. The register dates from 1634. There is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

Mulgrave Castle is the seat of the Marquess of Normanby. The estate also contains the ruins of a former residence known locally as Mulgrave Old Castle, which was an earthwork motte and bailey fortress.

Within the parish are the villages of Mickleby, Ugthorpe and Sandsend, and the hamlets of Barnby, Ellerby, Goldsborough, Hutton Mulgrave, Kettleness and Newton Mulgrave.

The old Red Lion public house now named The Stiddy . A "stiddy" is an anvil packed full of gunpowder and fired like a cannon on special occasions, such as the birth of the Marquess' male heir, the jubilee, or the end of the Second World War, The public house features a selection of en-suite B&B rooms and regularly serves cooked meals including Sunday lunches.

There are a variety of amenities in the village including a local school, newly refurbished caravan & camping park, tennis courts and a retained fire station.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lythe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.