Lysander is a town in Onondaga County, New York, United States. The population was 21,759 at the 2010 census. The town was named after Lysander, a Spartan military leader, by a clerk interested in the classics. The town is in the northwest corner of Onondaga County and is northwest of Syracuse. Much of the town is a suburb of Syracuse.
The town was part of the former Central New York Military Tract. It was first settled by outsiders around 1797.
The Town of Lysander was formed in 1794 from the northern townships of the Military Tract. Lysander was later reduced by the creation of the Towns of Hannibal (1806) and Cicero (1807). Lysander was reduced again on the formation of Oswego County in 1816.