- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Lynch Station sits on land formerly owned by the Lee family, who donated land for construction of nearby Mt. Hermon Methodist Church in 1825. It was torn down and replaced by a larger structure in 1875. The old church's timbers were re-used in the subsequent construction of a schoolhouse. Mrs. Charles Douglass was the first teacher there. Before her time, area children were educated in a private school on the lands of Ralph Smith.
Upon completion of the Lynchburg & Danville Railroad in 1873, a station was established on property purchased from one William Frazier (who had acquired it from a Lee descendant). It was named for Charles Henry Lynch, who owned land nearby and had been instrumental in financing the rail line.
The first building erected in town was the home of Johhn B. Omohundro, section foreman for the railroad. It was quickly followed by a store, sawmill, and several other homes.
The first station agent and postmaster was Abner Anthony, formerly of Leesville.
In 1879, a Baptist Church was built, and Rev. James Eubanks called as its first pastor. It was followed, in 1892, by St. Peter's Episcopal Church.
In 1880, James Hardwick and James Traylor published a weekly newspaper here called the Campbell County Record, but it eventually moved to the county seat at Rustburg. After a few years there, the old press was brought back to Lynch Station by attorney B.J. Wilkinson, who used it to publish the Campbell County Clarion.
Incorporated as a town in 1884, Oliver Peak served as the first mayor. One of the first ordinances decreed that no vehicle should be driven on the town's main street at a speed over 6 miles per hour!
Unfortunately, the town experienced serious decline. Its charter was revoked by 1900. And, by 1910, its Episcopal congregation had withdrawn to nearby Alta Vista.