The Town of Lyme is in the northwest part of the county and is west of Watertown.
Prehistoric occupation area is known from the Middle Woodland Period as the Point Peninsula Complex.
A common belief is that early explorers visited this town during the 16th century.
Settlement began around 1802. Due to the large expanse of low-lying land, there was a great deal of sickness in the town.
During the War of 1812, the inhabitants built a fort, but tore it down after visiting British officials assured them no harm would come to them if they removed fortifications.
The Village of Chaumont set itself off from the town in 1874 by incorporation as a village.