Lydd is a town in Kent, England, lying on the Romney Marsh. It is one of the larger villages on the marsh, and the most southerly village in Kent. Lydd reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a corporate member of the Cinque Ports. Actually located on Denge Marsh, Lydd was one of the first sandy islands to form as the bay evolved into what is now called the Romney Marsh. The name Hlyda, which derives from the Latin word for "shore", was found in a Saxon charter dating from the 8th century.
The parish of Lydd comprises the town of Lydd, Dungeness, Lydd on Sea and parts of Greatstone. Lydd was an urban district from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 has been part of the non-metropolitan Shepway District. Originally it was an ancient parish in both the Langport Liberty and the Romney Marsh Liberty. Its population as recorded in the 2011 UK census was 6,567.
Notable buildings in Lydd include the Gordon house longhall, a guildhall and a mediaeval courthouse. Chamberlains' and churchwardens' accounts of the 15th century survive alongside the town charters.
Lydd developed as a settlement during the Romano-British period on a shingle island when the coast at the time cut off Lydd from the mainland. The settlement continued into the Saxon period, with the Saxon church using Roman materials as part of its early construction. The town reached the height of its prosperity during the 13th century, when it was a corporate member of the wikipedia:Cinque Ports--a "limb" of Romney. As with much of the marsh, the town was a base for smuggling in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Before the First World War Lydd became an important artillery practice camp. Experiments with high explosives carried out on the shingle wastes around 1888 led to the invention of the explosive Lyddite. Lydd was at one time a garrison town and the area is still an important training ground for the armed forces, at one time having an extensive narrow gauge railway network.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Lydd. There is a record of action in Lydd during World War II.