The parish includes the hamlet of Laverton, where the Church of St. Mary dates from the 11th century.
1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred of Frome, 3 miles N. from Frome, containing 37 inhabited houses, and 39 families, 25 of whom are employed in agriculture. This parish contains 790 acres of land, chiefly applied to pasture: the river Frome divides it on the east from Beckington. At the south-west extremity of the parish is Orchardleigh, the seat of Sir T. S. Champneys, Bart. The church of Lullington is a very ancient structure of Saxon architecture, dedicated to All-Saints, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a large tower in the centre. It is a rectory, in the deanery of Frome; Rev. F. Skurray, incumbent; instituted 1807. Population, 1801, 157 — 1811,178 — 1821, 224.
1875 - Somersetshire edited by Edward Robert Kelly
Lullington is a small parish and village, 118 miles from London, 2½ north-by-east from Frome railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred, union, county court district, and rural deanery of Frome, Wells archdeaconry, and diocese of Bath and Wells. The church of All Saints (restored and enlarged in 1862) is an old stone building, believed to be of the period of King Stephen, though certain portions of the edifice indicate signs of a much earlier foundation; it has a chancel, nave, tower with 1 fine bell, and porch: there is a fine old font, also Early Norman, with this inscription encircling it: " Hoc fontis sacro pereunt delicta lavacro," and an organ: the church presents some beautiful specimens of architecture, the nave is Transition from Norman to Early English, the transept (which was formerly a chapel and contains a piscina; from Early English to Decorated, and the chancel from Decorated to Perpendicular; inserted in the wall of the vestry is a stone slah, discovered during restoration, supposed to be the lid of a coffin, and is said by many antiquarians to be of adate not later than 1085: there are several stained windows; one under the tower, of two lights, representing St. John and the Virgin. The register dates from the year 1712. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Orchard Leigh, gross yearly value £310, in the gift of William Duckworth, esq., J.P., of Orchard Leigh Park, and held by the Rev. Arthur Drummond Wilkins, M.A., late Fellow of New College, Oxford. Here is a Church of England school for boys and girls, built and endowed at the expense of William Duckworth, esq.; there is also a Sunday school. Oburn's charity of £6 yearly is for bread. The soil is loam and marl, and the subsoil is marl. The land is chiefly in pasture for dairy purposes. William Duckworth, esq., j.P. and ILL. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are charities of £3 yearly value. The area is 687 acres; rateable value, £1,355; the population in 1871 was 256.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Lullington, an obscurely situated village, 3 m. N. from Frome. It should certainly be visited by anyone in the neighbourhood, as the church is of exceptional antiquarian interest and contains one of the finest Norm, doorways in the county. It is a small building having a low central tower without transepts. A small S. chantry projects from the nave. Features to be noted are: (1) the Norm, doorway mentioned above, a little to the right of main entrance. The capitals are richly carved, and support an arch ornamented with deeply cut chevron and grotesque bird's beak mouldings. The tympanum bears in relief the curious device of some winged creatures devouring a tree. Above is a roundheaded niche containing the figure of our Lord, with hand uplifted in blessing. (2) Tub-shaped Norm. font, bearing inscription, Hoc fontis sacro pereunt delicta lavacro, and another legend undecipherable. (3) Clusters of Norm. columns beneath tower supporting an arch, evidently rebuilt out of original materials (observe S. pier of chancel arch standing idle). (4) E.E. arch opening into chantry chapel, and large piscina within. (5) Body stone built into W. wall of vestry. The whole of the Norm. work is unusually rich for a small country church, but it may possibly be accounted for by the fact that Lullington at the Conquest, amongst other good things, fell to the share of Geoffrey of Coutances, who perhaps brought here his staff of continental workmen, as the figures on the capitals of the doorway are known to occur also at Coutances and Caen. The body stone in the vestry, which may at one time have marked the Bishop's own grave outside, is also said to bear traces of continental craftsmanship. The "mediaeval" gateway at the entrance of the neighbouring park is a sham.
Provision for all of Somerset