Ludford is a village and civil parish in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. The parish is composed of the villages of Ludford Magna and Ludford Parva. The two smaller villages which had acted for a long time as one parish were merged into a single civil parish named Ludford in 1936.
The Black Death wiped out a number of villages that were part of the parish.
Kelly's Directory of 1885 noted the two separate settlements and parishes of Ludford Magna and Ludford Parva, both used the Church of SS Mary and Peter at Magna, a previous church at Parva showing no remains. Parva contained a Wesleyan and a Free Methodist chapel. The land of both parishes was described as heavy, and mixed with flint and chalk. Parish area for Magna was 2,860 acres (12 km2), and that for Parva, 836 acres (3 km2), chief crops grown being wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The 1881 population for Magna was 390, and for Parva, 341.
RAF Ludford Magna was a former Royal Air Force airfield situated south of the village, next to east side of the High Street. The station opened in June 1943 and contined in operation into the time of the Cold War.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ludford Magna.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.