- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lowick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LOWICK, a village and a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland. The village stands 4 miles WSW of Beal [railway] station, and 7 NW of Belford; is a long and straggling place, of late years greatly improved; and has a post office under Beal, Northumberland. The parish contains also the villages of Barmoor, Bowsden, and Holburn, and the hamlet of Laverick Law. Acres: 12,526. Real property: £13,192; of which £1,090 are in mines, and £1,600 in quarries. Population: 1,946. Houses: 385. The property is divided among a few. Barmoor Castle is a chief residence. Coal-mining, stone-quarrying, lime-burning, and the making of bricks and drainpipes are carried on. Numerous interesting fossils have been found in the limestone; and a collection of them has been deposited in the Woodwardian museum in Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was rebuilt towards the end of last century; and has a good E window, and a memorial window to the Gregson family. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £4."
Lowick was originally a chapelry of the ancient parish of Holy Island, Northumberland. It became a separate ancient parish and then a civil parish in 1866. In 1955 it was reduced in size when over 3500 acres were transferred to the newly created parish of Bowsden.
Despite being in Glendale Ward, Lowick is only one parish away from Holy Island on the North Sea coast.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.