Place:Walton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameWalton
Alt namesWalton Superiorsource: township in parish
Walton Inferiorsource: township in parish
Higher Waltonsource: village in parish
Lower Waltonsource: village in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish, Town
Coordinates53.356°N 2.609°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoRuncorn, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Warrington District, Cheshire, Englandtown in which it is now located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: Walton, Lower Walton, Upper Walton, Walton Inferior and Walton Superior are all included in this page.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Walton is a village and civil parish in Warrington in Cheshire, England. It had a population of 1,594 in the UK census of 2001.

Walton is at the southwest edge of the Warrington, next to the parish of Stockton Heath. It is also close to Daresbury and Moore, although these are in the neighbouring borough of Halton. Walton is part of the council ward of Hatton, Stretton and Walton.

Walton is divided into Lower Walton and Higher Walton. Higher Walton is south-west of Lower Walton, and is the location of Walton Hall. The estate of Walton Hall and its surrounding gardens, was previously owned by the Greenall family.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Walton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WALTON (Inferior and Superior), two townships in Runcorn parish, Cheshire; 2 miles S of Warrington. Acres: 537 and 424. Real property: £1,955 and £1,194. Population: 395 and 160. {Walton] Hall is the seat of G. Grunall, Esq.; and Mere Hall, of T. J. S. Brooke, Esq."

Lower and Upper Walton were the chief villages of the townships of Walton Inferior and Walton Superior, respectively. The townships were located within the ancient parish of Runcorn. They became civil parishes in 1866 and were both located in Runcorn Rural District. In 1936 they were joined into the parish of Walton.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Walton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.