|Name||Upper and Lower Shuckburgh|
|Alt names||Lower and Upper Shuckburgh||source: alternate placename|
|Lower Shuckburgh||source: village in parish|
|Upper Shuckburgh||source: deserted village in parish|
|Nether Shugbury||source: name in 17th century|
|Ouer Shugbury||source: name in 17th century|
|Type||Chapelry, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Warwickshire, England|
|See also||Priors Hardwick, Warwickshire, England||ancient parish of which Lower Shuckburgh was a part|
|Kington Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which Lower Shuckburgh was located|
|Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, England||hundred in which Upper Shuckburgh was located|
|Southam Rural, Warwickshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Stratford on Avon District, Warwickshire, England||administrative district covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Upper and Lower Shuckburgh is composed of the small village of Lower Shuckburgh located in the eastern Warwickshire, England and the nearby deserted village of Upper Shuckburgh. The two settlements were combined into one civil parish since the national reorganization of local government in 1974. In the 2001 UK census the parish had a population of 82.
Lower Shuckburgh lies on the A425 road between Southam and Daventry. Just north of the village is the Oxford Canal. On Beacon Hill, just south of the village, is Upper Shuckburgh.
The most notable building in Lower Shuckburgh is the Church of St John the Baptist, designed by John Croft, which dates from 1864 and is built in Gothic style.
Shuckburgh was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Sochberge, possibly referring to a long lost burial mound or barrow. The villages appear as Ouer Shugbury and Nether Shugbury on the Christopher Saxton map of 1637.
Upper Shuckburgh was originally an ancient parish in the Knightlow Hundred, while Lower Shuckburgh was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Priors Harwick in Kington Hundred. Both were made civil parishes in the 19th century and in 1894 it became part of the Southam Rural District. Since 1974 the combined parish has been part of the non-metropolitan Stratford on Avon District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Upper and Lower Shuckburgh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHUCKBURGH (Lower and Upper), two parishes in Southam district, Warwick; 5 and 4½ miles W of Daventry [railway] station. Post town, Daventry. Acres: 870 and 910. Real property: £1,902 and £2,075. Population: 152 and 60. Houses: 34 and 11. The manors, with [Shuckburgh] Hall, belong to Sir F. Shuckburgh, Bart. The livings are united [perpetual] curacies in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £30. Patron: Sir F. Shuckburgh, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1846. There is a free school."
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
Categories: Warwickshire, England | Upper and Lower Shuckburgh, Warwickshire, England | Priors Hardwick, Warwickshire, England | Kington Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Knightlow Hundred, Warwickshire, England | Southam Rural, Warwickshire, England | Stratford on Avon District, Warwickshire, England