Low Catton is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 7 miles (11 km) north-west of the market town of Pocklington and about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the village of Stamford Bridge. It lies on the east bank of the River Derwent. Together with High Catton it now forms the civil parish of Catton.
Before the 1066 Norman conquest of England there was little reference in records or church censuses to the village or church parish of Low Catton. However, that year the village played host to perhaps its best known historical event, the nearby Battle of Stamford Bridge, which planted it on the map for the first time. Little is known about the village's exact role in events however, although its prominent position on the banks of the important trade route, the River Derwent, is thought to be the major reason for the settlement's importance.
Historically, Low Catton was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill. From 1894 until 1935 (the date of its merger with High Catton), Low Catton was located in Pocklington Rural District.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.