- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Longworth was formerly a village and civil parish about 7 miles (11 km) west of Abingdon-on-Thames and a similar distance east of Faringdon and south of Witney in the ceremonial county of Berkshire. In 1974 the whole of the Faringdon Rural District was transferred to Oxfordshire and the village is now located in the Vale of White Horse district. Longworth parish stretches between the River Thames in the north and the A420 road in the south. The hamlet of Newbridge is located within the parish of Longworth.
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003 as found in GENUKI
- "LONGWORTH, a parish in the hundreds of Ganfield and Ock, county Berks, 7 miles N.E. of Farringdon, and 8 N.W. of Abingdon, its post town. It is situated on the S. bank of the river Isis, and includes the hamlets of Charney Bassett and Draycot Moor. The surface is in general flat, and the soil clay alternated with sand. At Charney Bassett is a chapel-of-ease. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Oxford, value with the curacy of Charney Bassett annexed, £785, in the patronage of Jesus College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small Saxon edifice with a tower. It contains a number of brasses, dating as far back as 1422. In the register is an entry of the baptism of Bishop Fell, whose father was rector of Longworth. From the site on which the church stands is an extensive prospect along the river and over into the opposite county of Oxford. The charities for the poor and educational purposes produce about £45 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is a National school. Philip Pussy, Esq., is lord of the manor. In this parish is the ancient entrenchment called Cherbury Camp, of an oval form, surrounded by a triple vallum; the diameter in the widest part is 310 paces, and in the narrowest 211."
- "CHARNEY BASSETT, a chapelry in the parish of Longworth, in the county of Berks, 6 miles E. of Faringdon. It is situated near the river Ock, in the vicinity of the Danish camp on Cherbury Hill. The chapel of ease, which is dedicated to St. Peter, has a handsome Norman doorway."
- "DRAYCOT MOOR, a hamlet in the parish of Longworth, hundred of Ock, in the county of Berks, 5 miles W. of Abingdon.
- "DRAYCOTT-MOORE, a hamlet in the parish of Longworth, hundred of Ock, in the county of Berks, 7½ miles N.E. of Great Farringdon."
- GENUKI's collection of maps for Berkshire. For basic reference are the two online maps Berkshire Parishes and Berkshire Poor Law Union areas. These locate the individual parishes and indicate the urban and rural districts to which each belonged. There are many other maps listed, some covering specific parts of the county.
- Wikipedia's outline map of the unitary authorities, shown on many of their Berkshire pages, shows how the new divisions of government relate to the former districts. It has to be remembered that the county was reshaped in 1974 with the urban and rural districts of Abingdon and Faringdon and part of Wantage going to Oxfordshire, and the Borough of Slough (with Eton) coming in from Buckinghamshire. Every attempt is being made to indicate here in WeRelate the civil parishes, towns and villages for which these transfers occurred. Currently there are maps to be found on place pages that deal with civil parishes that transferred from Buckinghamshire into Berkshire. It is planned to provide maps within WeRelate for places that transferred from Berkshire to Oxfordshire.
- The extensive collection provided by Genmaps is provided free of charge online.
Online Historical References
- Berkshire Record Office. The Berkshire Record Office [BRO] was established in 1948 to locate and preserve records relating to the county of Berkshire and its people, and anyone who is interested in the county's past. As well as original documents, catalogues and indexes, there is a library at the Record Office.
- Berkshire Family History Society Research Centre. "The Berks FHS Centre can help you - wherever your ancestors came from. There is a Research Centre Library open to all."
- West Berkshire Museum, Newbury, housed in a building with an interesting past, but is currently closed for redevelopment. No information on their collections.
- The GENUKI provision for Berkshire has been updated more recently than that for some of the other counties. A member of the Berkshire Family History Society is credited with this revision.
- The FamilySearch Wiki on Berkshire explains the jurisdictions relating to civil affairs, parishes and probate (wills and testaments) for each parish in the county and also outlines when these jurisdictions were in existence. Alterations required to cover the post-1974 period have not been carried out for every parish concerned.
- The Berkshire section of The Victoria History of the Counties of England, in four volumes, is online and provides an extensive history of the county, parish by parish, up to the end of the 19th century. Parishes are arranged in their original "hundreds", a fairly archaic scheme of dividing counties into reasonably sized sections.
- Local History Online is a compilation of websites from Berkshire local history clubs, societies and associations.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Help fund new features!